Friday, March 13, 2015

Day Twenty-Four: The Netflix Conundrum

First and foremost, I love Netflix.  I love the selection of television shows, documentaries, and movies it provides.  I don't even mind that they remove movies and shows every month or so, because honestly, when would we have time to watch them all anyway. Practically the only time I even buy DVD's now is for my class (and if they would let me stream them on Netflix, I would).


My only problem with Netflix...is me. I have no self-control when it comes to the original programming on Netflix.  Now, I purchased a subscription to Netflix for one reason-to watch the first season of their original series Orange is the New Black.  It was summer, and I really didn't have anything else to do. So, I watched Orange is the New Black.  I was hooked, and before I knew it, it was midnight, and I only had about 3 episodes left.  I had to force myself to go to bed and wait until the next day to finish.  The next day, I finished the series, and I felt empty, because I realized that I would now have to wait an entire year to see the next episodes of my now favorite show.


Yesterday, I saw some people tweeting about this new Netflix series, The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. If you haven't heard about the show, it follows the misadventures of a girl who spent 15 years trapped in a bunker held prisoner by a cult leader, and now she is trying to build a life for herself in New York.  My tv was tripping last night, so I decided to give the show a try on my iPad.  Okay, it was love. It was not the perfect show; it had flaws, but it made me laugh. I especially love the frenemy relationship Kimmy has with her roommate Titus. This post is not about Kimmy. I want to rewatch, then write a post.


My biggest problem with Kimmy and OITNB is that I NOW HAVE TO WAIT A YEAR TO SEE NEW EPISODES.  Hi, my name is Diana, and I don't have any self control.  I mean, fortunately, OITNB will be back in three months, but I know that within a day or two of its release, I will be finished with the entire season waiting for the next to come. 


See, I'm more of a procedural drama than serial type girl.  Dallas, Falcon Crest, and Knots Landing ruined me for serials.  I like episodes that come to an end, which is why I was such a fan of shows like CSI, Law & Order, and Criminal Minds.  These serials kill me.  I remember last summer having a three day binge on the show Weeds, because I simply had to see the next episode.  Therefore, I limit the number of serials I watch on regular tv.  I have never watched Scandal; I watched one episode of Empire and baled; I watched a couple of seasons of Grey's Anatomy before I ditched it. I even kicked Under the Dome to the curb.  My number one serial is The Walking Dead.   I can get through a season of The Walking Dead relatively angst free. Plus, AMC loves their The Walking Dead marathons.  My other show is American Horror Story.  I know this year Freakshow was horrible, but I watched the entire thing. I use to watch Once Upon a Time, but I lost interest because too many characters and storylines.  They control my coming back, but with Netflix, it's like Lays potato chips, no one can watch just one. I watch episode after episode until my eyes finally say NO MORE!!!


This summer, I plan to start House of Cards. I didn't this week because I still can't get over the fact that I watched the entire season of Kimmy.  Netflix is wonderful in that I can watch entire series at the click of my mouse; the bad news is I will be a little sad when each of those series end, and I have to wait. [This is why I waited until the last Lord of the Rings movie premiered before I watched the first two.]  Oh, Netflix, I love you, but I hate you, too.


Until next week, "I hate myself for loving you/Can't break free from the the things that you do/ I wanna walk but I run back to you that's why/ I hate myself for loving you."-Joan Jett


P. S. The theme song to the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is so perfect!!! I love it, and it is stuck in my head.  Mike Britt was the perfect actor for the viral video to the song.



No comments:

Post a Comment