Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Day Twenty-Eight: The Loop Songs

I admit that I have an addictive personality.  When I like something, I spend a lot of time talking about it, reading about, etc.  You would not believe the unnecessary stuff that I know about The Lord of the Rings movies, David Justice, the Atlanta Braves, Stephen King, David Morse, The Great Gatsby, Denzel Washington, Orlando Bloom, Tony Gonzalez, but I digress.  I'm not a stalker, because that would actually require work, and I am too vain to actually do that, because...lazy...


Anyway, I have this really bad habit of listening to songs on a loop. Most people will listen to a song a couple of times and then move on. Not me. I can literally listen to the same song for an hour, and it will not bother me in the least.  Students who have had the misfortune of spending detention with me will testify to listening to "O, Fortuna" and "Danse Macbre" over and over.  I love the songs; them not so much.


Tonight's post is about 10 songs that I have often listened to on a repetitive loop, much to the chagrin of my family and friends. Yeah, these are also songs you have probably seen me singing at the top of my lungs in my car, too.


#1-"We Belong" by Pat Benatar.  There is barely a day that goes by that I don't listen to this song. I don't have a favorite song, per se, but if I did this one would be right at the top of the list. I can and do listen to the song ad nauseam.  It's in my car, on my MP3, on my computer, my iPad, my iPhone, my work computer.  Any time I want to hear it, it's there to bring me joy.  Besides, Pat Benetar has a great voice, and damn, Will Ferrell for putting it in that scene from Ricky Bobby.


#2-"Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen. I love, love, love, love this song!! I played it so much in high school that my grandmother put a ban on it in her house.  Every other day, I play it during my off period at work, because it just speeds up tasks.


#3-"River of Dreams" by Billy Joel. I fell in love with the song in college, and it is on my work computer. When ever I hit my rock playlist, it is always the first song I play.


#4-"Oh, No" by the Commodores.  The Commodores have always been one of my favorite groups.  This Lionel Richie led song found its way on practically every mixtape I made from 1990-now.  One, because it so short, it always fit in that extra space at the end of the tape, and two, it's just a simple but beautiful song. FYI, it was on the end of a cd I was listening to this morning going to work. I played it about 4 times before I made it to work.


#5-"Sail On" by the Commodores. Told you they were one of my favorites.  Even though this is a break-up song, it just has this positive beat, as the narrator tells the former flame he's looking for a good time.


#6-"Shake it Out" by Florence and the Machine.  I first heard this song by accident channeling the tv one morning and landing on VH1.  Whenever I find myself in a bad mood, I crank this song up to the top of the volume and shake the devil off with my loudest voice.


#7-"By Your Side" by Sade.  This is probably one of my favorite love songs.  I listen to this song to mellow out.  I just listen to her, sing a little too loud, and sway.


#8-"Take me to Church" by Hozier. You like it; you hate it.  I don't care, because I absolutely love this song. From the background instrumentals to the singer's voice.  I could listen to this song all day.


#9-"Keep the Faith" by Michael Jackson. This is my favorite Michael Jackson song. It's from the Dangerous album. This is really one of those stand up and sing praise songs.  It's an inspirational piece that makes you believe that you can get through any problem big or small.


#10-"No Rain" by Blind Melon. I pretty certain Shannon Hoon was referring to himself when writing these lyrics, but no song describes me better than "No Rain."  If life had a theme song, this would be mine. Playing in the background as I walk the halls, teach my class, brush my teeth...I find myself humming the song often.  Sure, my life is pretty plain, but always interesting...


Until next time, "All I can say is that my life is pretty plain,  You don't like my point of view,
You think I'm insane, It's not sane, it's not sane."-
Blind Melon



No comments:

Post a Comment