Thursday, March 19, 2015

Day Thirty: My Favorite Villains

I'm an unusual girl who does not follow the well-beaten path. When you meet me, I probably break every preconceived notion you have about me. I listen to country music and classical music, but I'm not a big fan of rap music.  I like the romantic writers, but I hate romance novels. I HATE CHICK FLICKS, and ALL THINGS LIFETIME!!!

I do, however, love a good bad guy. Even now, my twitter bio declares that I root for villains. Sometimes, I do, because let's face it, the good guys are often annoying.  So tonight's post is all things villain.  They may come from movies, television, or books. #10-Hedley Lamarr:  Harvey Korman as a villain.  Blazing Saddles is one of my favorite movies, and Hedley Lamarr is the absolute worse villain, but man is he funny.  Every devious plan that Hedley makes goes deliciously wrong, especially that piece of hard candy that almost takes him out when he does his evil laugh.
#9-Keyser Söze:  Kevin Spacey fooled us all. Verbal Kint had us, all including those "usual suspects" and the cops, believing that Keyser Soze was the devil incarnate, when he was the limping little snitch who had the best walk out of picture in movie history.
#8-Bellatrix Lestrange:  This has more to do with Helena Bonham Carter playing Bellatrix.  Bellatrix is one of Voldemort's most devoted death eaters.  She is bat crap crazy psychopath committed to his cause beyond belief and takes pleasure in doing her "master's" bidding, even killing her cousin Sirius Black.  The delight that she takes from committing her crimes only rivals that of the Joker.
#7-J. R. Ewing:  Growing up I watched a lot of those 1980s primetime soap operas, and there wasn't a bad guy badder than J.R. Ewing. He was the most despicable character to ever wear a Stetson.  He wouldn't hesitate to back stab his brother, his mother, his wife, his children.  He was even able to withstand a bullet from his girlfriend.  Even in old age, he still instilled fear, and the only thing that stopped J. R. Ewing was the death of his portrayer Larry Hagman.
#6-Victor Newman:  Eric Braeden's Victor Newman is daytime TV's J. R. Ewing.  He's like an evil phoenix that rises from the ashes to destroy anyone and anything that stands in his way. He will betray wives, girlfriends, children and takes pleasure in ruining his real or perceived enemies.  He can be sensitive one moment and then locking you in the basement in the next.  How Nicki can still tolerate him is beyond me.
#5-Regina Mills/the Evil Queen:  Lana Parilla is absolutely wonderful as the evil queen/Regina. Even though I don't regularly watch Once Upon a Time much anymore, she was one of the reasons I did tune in every week. Parilla is able to play her character as the worse type of human being (I mean, who wants to kill a child for spilling secret, HELLO, child), yet she also shows you the vulnerable side that makes you believe she can change...into yet another fabulous outfit.  Lana Parilla can work a hat, sister, and Regina the Queen has the most fabulous wardrobe on television.
#4-Fiona Goode:  Thirteen episodes just were not enough for the fabulously devious Fiona Goode, the supreme of American Horror Story: Coven. Like Regina, Jessica Lange's Fiona had a wardrobe to die for, and if you crossed her, you would die.  She kills a gorgeous doctor in the first episode just give herself momentary beauty.  Not to mention some of the best lines.  My favorite: "This coven doesn't need a new supreme; it needs a new rug." Fiona declares after killing one of her charges who is dying on said rug.
#3-The Joker:  Whether it is Jack Nicholson in Tim Burton's or Heath Ledger in Chris Nolan's, I love the Joker.  His sarcasm and wit, his ability turn on the charm and slit your throat at the same time makes the Joker a fascinating character you can't take your eyes off of. I wasn't sure I would like Ledger better than I liked Nicholson, but one scene made me like him just a little bit more.  The ad-libbed hospital explosion.  I don't know why that's my favorite Joker scene, but it is.  I'm just sorry Heath Ledger is not around to give the character another turn.
#2-The Wicked Witch of the West: Margaret Hamilton has been scaring little children for over 75 years. Her laugh alone will make little kids wet their pants.  Why so angry?  A little girl named Dorothy not only killed her sister, and then had the audacity to sport the dead woman's shoes thanks to Glinda the alleged good witch.  Seriously, isn't Glinda the real wicked witch? Yes, Hamilton's witch is all kinds of camp, over the top, and wonderful-"I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog, too."
#1-Pennywise the Clown:  We can all agree that the 1990 miniseries It was pretty horrible. Special effects were not top-notch, but there was one redeeming feature of this movie, Tim Curry's portrayal of Pennywise the wise-cracking Clown version of the monster "it" who was stalking the children of Derry. Tim Curry is the reason that an entire generation suffers from coulrophobia.  You cannot even mention Pennywise's name to some people without eliciting a reaction of fear. That's why he's my favorite.
So, who is your favorite bad guy?
Until next time, "I'll drive you crazy and I'll kill you all! I'm every nightmare you've ever had! I am your worst dream come true! I'M EVERYTHING YOU EVER WERE AFRAID OF!"-Pennywise the dancing Clown.

No comments:

Post a Comment