Saturday, February 21, 2015

Day Four: My favorite dark writers...

I almost forgot to write my post tonight. I'm was actually getting ready for bed, when I realized...oops. My Saturday has been thrown off schedule by work.  Anyway, I was at a loss for what to write about tonight, so I just decided to list some of my favorite dark writers.  Not in any particular order, but you have to know that Stephen King is #1.


Edgar Allan Poe-the father of the short story, the father of the detective story, and all things creepy.  How many unreliable narrators can one author have?  I fully intend to read all of his short stories and his one novel by the end of the year.  Favorite stories-"The Masque of the Red Death," "The Tell-tale Heart," "The Fall of the House of Usher," "The Black Cat," and "Hop-Frog."


Flannery O'Connor-I was first introduced to O'Connor in college.  I love her warped sense of humor. She is Southern Gothic literature at it's best.  Her stories always deliver a twist that you are not quite expecting-a jolt that shows all the warts of polite society. She is also on my list of collections to read this year.  Favorite stories-"A Good Man is Hard to Find," "Good Country People," and "Revelation."


Roald Dahl-Mr. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory himself.  Under that children's writing, there are some really dark themes. Besides Charlie is probably my favorite, but his short story "Lamb to the Slaughter" made me interested in his shorter pieces.  He is on the list of collections I want to read this year.


Toni Morrison-Morrison is not a horror writer at all. Morrison just writes works that are so hard for me to read, but she leaves you wanting to make the world better than you found it.  Her themes are not horror based, but the realities that she addresses are just as scary.  Favorite pieces-The Bluest Eye and Beloved.


Anne Rice-Fell in love with her vampires in college. Now, her vampires, I can stomach, Twilight, not so much. Louis, Armand, and of course, Lestat, I read the Vampire chronicles until the covers fell off. I also am a fan of her Mayfair witches.  Reading her novels were almost like taking a class on mythology.  There is so much to learn, and like an eager student, I was right there with my pen and pad.  She creates a universe of characters that you fully believe could exist on the fringes of our society.  The Witching Hour and Interview with the Vampire are still my faves, but I also liked Feast of All Saints and Cry to Heaven.


Stephen King-I have been reading Stephen King since the 6th grade.  My first Stephen King novel was Pet Semetery.  I read at least one Stephen King novel each year.  It is hard to narrow it down to just one or two, favorite novel: It, favorite novella: Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, favorite stories: "You Know They Got a Hell of a Band," "Dolan's Cadillac," and "Suffer the Little Children."

Until next time, just remember, “Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win.”-Stephen King.

No comments:

Post a Comment