Saturday, November 10, 2012

NFL Week 10 Picks or The Week I FINALLY Get to See Tony Gonzalez Play

Hey, hey, y'all!  I don't know about you, but I am glad that it is finally the weekend.  For me it is truly a special weekend, because tomorrow I'm headed to the Big Easy to finally, FINALLY see Tony Gonzalez play in a live football game.  That's right, I will get to see my fave tight end TG play against up and comer Jimmy Graham.  As a Chiefs fan, I never had the chance to travel to Kansas City to see TG, and I was beginning to think it would never happen.  After all, it only took 15 years, 2 months, and 11 days for it to happen, but whose counting :)  I'm like a kid counting down 'til Christmas morning.



Now, I know what you are saying.  You only like Tony Gonzalez because he is a good looking guy.  Well, you are partially right.  He is a good looking guy, but let's face it, the NFL chews up and spits out good looking guys every week.  The first time I ever saw Tony Gonzalez was not as a football player, but as a Cal basketball player.  I didn't even know he WAS a football player.  One, because when I watch college football, I watch the SEC, and TWO, I rarely watch the SEC, and Cal is most definitely not a part of the SEC.



In 1997, I was a senior in college waiting to graduate when Tony Gonzalez was drafted 13th in first round by my Kansas City Chiefs.  My first thought, hey cutie, my second thought, why did they draft a basketball player?  WTH, Carl??!?!?  That was why Carl Peterson was the GM and I was a fan.  No Carl, bashing y'all, that's over and done.  Bash Pioli.  It will make you feel better.



The first game of the NFL season was on August 31, the day Princess Diana died.  It was also the beginning of Tony Gonzalez's career, the career of one of the Greatest Tight End's ever.  Since then, he has amassed a plethora of NFL records-capturing practically every tight end record, landing on the all-time receptions and touchdown list, making 12 Pro Bowl teams, missing only 2 games, and having only 6 fumbles.  He is currently ranked #3 among tight ends right now.  The only thing he hasn't accomplished is a playoff win and a Super Bowl ring, and maybe, just maybe, he will get that this year.  Here's a few of his records:

  • Receptions in a single season for a tight end (102, 2004 season)
  • Career receiving yards for a tight end (13,603 as of September 30, 2012)
  • Career receptions for a tight end (1,175 as of September 30, 2012)
  • Career receiving touchdowns for a tight end (99 as of October 10, 2012)
  • Most seasons with 1,000+ receiving yards by a tight end (4)
  • Most consecutive starts by a tight end (120)
  • Pro Bowl All-Time leader in Receptions (42)
  • Pro Bowl All-Time leader in Touchdowns (6)
  • Second most receptions for any position in the NFL second to Jerry Rice (1,175 September 30, 2012)

TG says that he is about 95% sure he is retiring at the end of the season. It is so awesome that I will get to see him play when I never got to see Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, or the late Derrick Thomas play live on the field.  TG is still sitting on touchdown number 99.  Matt Ryan could you do this Tony Gonzalez fan, and fantasy football fans everywhere and throw him touchdown 100 tomorrow?  P. S.  throw it toward the Falcons entrance.  That's where I'll be sitting.  Thanks!!! 



Fantasy fans, don't forget that Cleveland, Green Bay, Arizona, Washington have byes this week.  Okay, now for the weeks picks.

Sunday, November 11
Atlanta Falcons vs. New Orleans Saints:  Atlanta
New York Giants vs. Cincinnati Bengals:  New York
Detroit Lions vs. Minnesota Vikings:  Minnesota
Denver Broncos vs. Carolina Panthers:  Denver
Oakland Raiders vs. Baltimore Ravens:  Baltimore
Tennessee Titans vs. Miami Dolphins:  Miami
Buffalo Bills vs.New England Patriots:  New England
San Diego Chargers vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers:  San Diego
New York Jets vs. Seattle Seahawks:  Seattle
Dallas Cowboys vs. Philadelphia Eagles:  Dallas
St. Louis Rams vs. San Francisco 49ers:  San Francisco
Houston Texans vs. Chicago Bears:  Chicago

Monday, November 12
Kansas City Chiefs vs. Pittsburgh Steelers:  Pittsburgh...I...I can't pick the Chiefs with a straight face anymore.  I love my Chiefs, but I'm a realist.  Who picked the Chiefs for two back to back primetime games.  Just cruel, man.  Just cruel...

Thursday, November 15
 Miami Dolphins vs. Buffalo Bills:  Buffalo

Until next week, I'm off to see Tony Gonzalez.  Just remember...“Oh the places you'll go! There is fun to be done! There are points to be scored. There are games to be won. And the magical things you can do with that ball will make you the winning-est winner of all.”~Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment