Saturday, November 9, 2013

NFL Week 10 Picks...

This week has been a rather unusual week in the NFL. It has been headline after headline about bullying in the locker room of the Miami Dolphins. Now, honestly, I would have thought this was more prevalent in the Raiders locker room, but Miami? Then to hear that the culprit was allegedly Richie Incognito and the victim was Jonathan Martin. At first, I think I had the same reaction as practically every other person who first heard the story break "He was bullied? What?! A guy that size?! Really?!?!" From experience, I have been the victim of attempted bullying. Notice, I said attempted, because I have always stood up for myself. It takes an iron will many times, but most of you did not have my grandmother who gave me this advice as a child, "Everybody is not going to like you. They may say bad things about you. Hell, they said bad things about Jesus, and He is our Lord. Just know you are not what people say about you. Know that you are loved, and nothing they say matters as long as they don't put their hands on you."


Needless to say, it instilled in me a bit of absolutely nothing bothering me. Even my students said the other day, nothing ever embarrasses you-a week after I placed third in a fund raiser and was smacked in the face with a chocolate pie for my part. If you have ever seen my 5th grade picture, you would know there are few things more embarrassing than that. Not to mention, I'm a clutz. I ran into a pole in 9th grade, rolled down the hill leading to the cafeteria the same year, fell down and injured both knees in front of my friends the day before prom, accidentally call a senior a girl on my first day of high school, do you need more ammunition? I never had to raise a hand, and I've never been in a fight. Mostly, because the "alleged bully's" insults never mattered to me. I know who I am. Trust me, I've heard them all. "You're fat." Thanks for being observant, you don't get this figure by eating celery. "You're a nerd." Right again, as a matter of fact I am queen of the nerds, a crown I wish to hold for many more years. "You're clothes are cheap and ugly." Yet, you noticed them. Besides, I don't feel the need to pay a designer for the privilege of wearing his clothes. If he wants me to be a walking billboard, he should pay me.
Hazing has been a part of every organized activity, but there is a limit to anything. There are too many facts about this case that does not make sense, and I don't think we will ever get 100% of the truth from any of the parties involved. At the end of the day, it is a workplace, and no one deserves to be made uncomfortable in their work environment. For me, I've always taken care of myself. I've never allowed myself to accept negative words from people to shape me. Yet, many of the facts that are coming out are clearly over the line and should never have been allowed to continue.


I can't agree with these players who are giving Incognito a pass on his racially insensitive rants on Martin's phone. I don't care what goes on in a locker room, because I give no one a pass, not even black people to call me the N-word. I don't find it funny, and too many people have actually given their life for us not to be called that. I didn't grow up in the hip-hop culture so that word has never been cool to me. Then, there is the fact that Incognito was trying to coerce Martin into giving him $15,000 for a trip he wasn't going on? I don't think so. Martin is no longer a rookie, so the idea that this is allowed to continue into his second year is uncalled for, as a matter of fact, after the first few weeks of his first season is too long. Oh, and to the Dolphins organization, if he wasn't "tough enough," why was he still on your line? Why not cut your losses? The Dolphins organization is just as culpable as Incognito.

Last week, one of the NFL "experts" called the Chiefs the worse 9-0 team ever.  I mean, that was a little harsh don't, you think?  After all, the Chiefs didn't make their schedule.  They played the teams that were assigned to them, and they won.  Isn't that what they are suppose to do?  Yes, the Broncos have put up gaudy numbers against the teams they have beaten, but let's face facts, they pretty much the same teams the Chiefs have played.  Check out their schedules so far...

The Broncos

The Chiefs

It's not like Denver is playing New Orleans or New England every week.  I'm just saying.  Tony Gonzalez, I'm sorry you have to finish your season as an Atlanta Falcon.  You deserve so much better.  A loss last week and this week you have to play the Seahawks.  I'm sorry.


Last week wasn't so bad.  I finished the week with an 8-5 which brings me to 76-55.  The bye week Cleveland Browns, Kansas City Chiefs, New England Patriots, and New York Jets.

Sunday, November 10
Cincinnati Bengals at Baltimore Ravens:  Baltimore
Oakland Raiders at New York Giants:  New York
Buffalo Bills at Pittsburgh Steelers:  Pittsburgh
Jacksonville Jaguars at Tennessee Titans:  Tennessee
Seattle Seahawks at Atlanta Falcons:  Seattle
Detroit Lions at Chicago Bears: Detroit
Philadelphia Eagles at Green Bay Packers:  Philadelphia
St. Louis Rams at Indianapolis Colts:  Indianapolis
Carolina Panthers at San Francisco 49ers:  San Francisco
Houston Texans at Arizona Cardinals:  Arizona
Denver Broncos at San Diego Chargers:  Denver (although I want San Diego to win)
Dallas Cowboys at New Orleans Saints:  New Orleans

Monday, November 11
Miami Dolphins at Tampa Bay Buccaneers:  Miami

Thursday, November 14
Indianapolis Colts at Tennessee Titans:  Tennessee

Until next week, "Adversity causes some men to break; others to break records."-William Arthur Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment