Saturday, June 25, 2011

Michael Jackson Tribute, Part 1

Michael Jackson passed away 2 years ago today, and whether you liked him personally or not, I don't know how you could seeing as though very few people all actually had an opportunity to know him. Regardless, the man left us a vast catalog of music that will inspire generations of musicians to come. Pundits will debate forever and a day about what are his best works. I leave that to them. These are not his best works or even his biggest hits. These are my favorites. The ones I listen to over and over again...Enjoy...

#10-"Smooth Criminal" (1987) We don't know who Annie is, or what this criminal did to her, or if she's okay, but the song did make you want to get up and dance.



#9-"You are Not Alone" (1995) Written by R. Kelly (another story for another day), "You are Not Alone" was Michael Jackson's last number one. I love the emotion in the song. If you have ever lost someone this song touches you in a place like few others.



#8-"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" (1979) Off the Wall is my favorite Michael Jackson album. When you hear those violins and Michael's falsetto, how could you not get up and dance. Keep on with the force don't stop...



#7-"Working Day and Night" (1979) It wasn't actually released as a single from the Off the Wall, but it is one of my favorite dance tunes. This girl is really is working poor Michael to death.



#6-"Rock With You" (1979) Another from the Off the Wall album. Smooth moderate beat. Perfect slow it down grown folks dance tune.



#5-"Off the Wall" (1979) Told you it was my favorite album. This is that perfect "I'm outta here for the weekend" song. I love throwing this on as I pull out of the parking lot after a tough day.



#4-"Human Nature" (1983) The fifth single off the Thriller album and the only one that made this list. I like the songs from Thriller, but this is the only song I love. Honestly, I think this is probably the song that is closer to what he was actually like.



#3-"Man in the Mirror" (1987) Once again, it is the emotion with which he sings this song. I really cried the first time heard this song. It makes you want to get up and make that change in the world. When I need encouragement for the teaching, it reminds me why I go back each day.



#2-"Keep the Faith" (1991) This song is from the Dangerous disc. It has that gospel good time feel to it. Like "Man in the Mirror," it was co-written by Glen Ballard and Siedah Garrett. Makes you want to get up clap your hands with inspiration.



#1-"Will You be There" (1991) My niece calls this the Free Willy song. Youth...It appears on the Dangerous cd. It opens with an excerpt from Beethoven's 9th building before quietly letting these angelic voices take over before the song actually begins. It gives me chills every time I hear it. Like many of the other songs on this list, it was the way he performed the lyrics. He performed his lyrics. Not just singing...He made you believe that it was about him...he became his words. That's why I love this song so much.



Stay tuned for part 2, my favorite MJ videos...

Until then, "If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with."—Michael Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment