Friday, June 3, 2011

All the Single Ladies...No Wonder He Didn't Put a Ring on It

Earlier this week, I decided against my better judgment to watch VH1's new romantic-comedy (although that genre is a stretch) Single Ladies. I wanted to support this Queen Latifah produced show. Yet, I knew it was gonna be bad. I knew in my heart of hearts it was going to be bad. Did that stop me from watching? No. It became a tweet fest because there was no basketball game, and I think we were all generally bored. For those of you who didn't watch, Single Ladies follows the lives of three friends in Atlanta, GA, Valerie Stokes (Stacey Dash), Keisha Greene (LisaRaye McCoy), and April Goldberg-Jenkins (Charity Shea). Cool, Sex in the City with an urban vibe, right? Wrong. Granted, I didn't care for Sex in the City either. I'm basing my criticisms on the parts I actually saw as I missed the first 5 or 10 minutes.

First of all, how old are these characters exactly. Early 30's, late 30's? It may not matter to you, but I like to have a little basis for a few things. LisaRaye and Stacey Dash were both born in 1966, which would make them both over 40, while Charity Shea was born in 1983 which would put her in her late 20's. Why would they be "girls"? I probably missed that, but while LisaRaye and Stacey look great for their age, am I to believe they are in their late 20's-early 30's? To quote Chad Ochocinco, "Child please..." I watched Stacey Dash on St. Elsewhere, and LisaRaye was playing Diamond when I was a first year teacher, I know Charity is the token white girl, but maybe she should be a little offended that the writers or casting directors think that she looks old enough to pass as their girl. Let's take a look at each girl shall we...


First, there is Valerie. Valerie is recovering from a devastating breakup from her boyfriend of 5 years, Quinn. That's right, five years. She gives him an ultimatum; he's throws up the deuces and kicks her to the curb. A mere 3 months later he is engaged to another woman who happens to show up at Valerie's new store. Valerie pouts and storms out. Her very rational reaction to this is to lease a car she can't afford, throw a fabulous, albeit last minute, party that is so off the heazy that the mayor of Atlanta (played by Common no less) shows, sleep with a guy she just met a few hours in the back room of her shop, excuse me, boutique, and then, the very next day, sleep with Quinn after he revealed that he never loved her. (BTW, Stacey Dash wears outfits that she apparently borrowed from the girlfriend of her 20 year old son which includes a pair of short shorts paired with a bra and jacket [that passes for business attire], various leggings and tank tops, and blue mini dress that looked to be made out of Grover's cast off fur.)



Then, there is Keisha. Keisha is a former video vixen who is not looking for Mr. Right, but Mr. Right's Bank Book. She wants a rich man and has no problems admitting it. Even though she is older (how old *shrug*), she still does the occasional video shot. Did we mention that she has a penchant for stealing and fencing items from said video shots? Her latest Mr. Right loans rapper Cam'ron, who makes a cameo appearance, a blinged-out, ice-encrusted watch that Keisha steals to pay off a fellow vixen played by Kim Porter, yes that Kim Porter, who has found out about her past life of crime.



Lastly, there is April. April is, as I stated earlier, the token white girl who is actually married to a decent black man who is desperate to start a family. Girl is not interested, as a matter of fact, she is cheating on him with, wait for it, the mayor Common (who is also married by the by). She spends the show hooking up with Common, lying to her husband, and getting her friends to lie on her behalf.

I wanted to support this show. God knows I'm not going to watch Tyler Perry's Whatever he is presenting this year. I stopped watching The Game when Melanie became a liar and a...what's the word...skank. I would like to see more people of color on television who are not on reality shows, but this...nah...this is horrible. The writing is bad, the acting is worse, and the characters are barely likable in any way, shape, form, or fashion. Has this what we've been reduced to on television? We need more Claire Huxtables on television, not this drivel. Every character on the show reeks of desperation. I don't personally know any women like them, and I'm glad I don't. I wouldn't want to be friends with any of them. They support their girls in their bad decisions; not to mention help dupe their friend's husband. Oh, Lauren London, girl, who becomes friends with the woman who just slept with your fiancee? Please. . .It's a miracle anybody dates them; I can't blame a dude for not marrying them. Hey, writers, could you buy these girls some self esteem and self respect, because until that happens, Single Ladies is off my viewing list.It's billed as a romantic-comedy, but I saw nothing romantic or remotely comical about it. It seemed just sad.

Ladies, take Charlotte Bronte's advice: "I can live alone, if self-respect, and circumstances require me so to do. I need not sell my soul to buy bliss. I have an inward treasure born with me, which can keep me alive if all extraneous delights should be withheld, or offered only at a price I cannot afford to give." Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I'm tired at this unrealistic mess being aimed at us. Stacey Dash quit, so I hope this will be the end of this train wreck...

    ReplyDelete