Saturday, November 6, 2010

Predictions that Went Horribly, Horribly Wrong

What's up, everybody!!! I don't know about everybody else, but I'm just about ready to put that bird in the oven, mash those potatoes, and throw that gravy in the boat, and celebrate Thanksgiving-the day we are thankful for all we have received through the year and celebrate with gluttony and football. But, before we get to the turkey, it is the time of the year when DianaDishes likes to look back and recall the predictions we made at the beginning of the football season. Trust me, my predictions are about as competent as the person who thought it was a good idea to give Sarah Palin a reality show...Clearly, not that smart.

Let's start in the AFC East. These were my picks back in September:
  1. New York Jets
  2. New England Patriots
  3. Miami Dolphins
  4. Buffalo Bills
I didn't do to bad a job picking the East. Currently, the Patriots (6-1) are in first followed by the Jets (5-2), the Dolphins (3-4), and the Bills (0-7). I didn't think the Bills would be that bad...bad, but not that bad. Even though the Patriots are rolling right now, it is not entirely inconceivable that the Jets can come back and take the East.

New York Jets guard Brandon Moore (65) congratulates wide receiver Braylon Edwards on his 32-yard touchdown pass reception against the Denver Broncos during the second quarter at Invesco Field at Mile High on October 17, 2010 in Denver. The Jets lead the AFC East division.    UPI/Gary C. Caskey Photo via Newscom

AFC South
  1. Indianapolis Colts
  2. Tennessee Titans
  3. Houston Texans
  4. Jacksonville Jaguars
I have to brag a little with the AFC South...Totally, nailed the South, and truly I feel that it will end this way. The Colts (5-2) are in 1st followed by the Titans (5-3), the Texans (4-3), and the Jaguars (4-4). This race will come down to the wire, but I don't think I'm stepping out on a limb to say that Peyton and the Colts will take the South.

INDIANAPOLIS - NOVEMBER 01: Peyton Manning  of Indianapolis Colts gives instructions to his team in the hudlle during the NFL game against the Houston Texans at Lucas Oil Stadium on November 1, 2010 in Indianapolis, Indiana. (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)

AFC North
  1. Baltimore Ravens
  2. Cincinnati Bengals
  3. Pittsburgh Steelers
  4. Cleveland Browns
Well, I got two of these right anyway. I figured Baltimore (5-2) would be in first, but I didn't think Pittsburgh (5-2) would be tied at 1st with them. I figured that Cleveland (2-5) would be in last place, but I really, REALLY didn't expect the Bengals (2-5) to be tied in last place with them or that T. O. and Ocho would have a show together...The Bengals and that show are more than an atrocity...Sorry, Marvin Lewis. I'm still holding with Baltimore, but the North will have two teams in the playoffs.

BALTIMORE, MD - OCTOBER 10: Ray Lewis  of the Baltimore Ravens rouses the crowd before a play against the Denver Broncos at M&T Bank Stadium on October 10, 2010 in Baltimore, Maryland. Players wore pink in recognition of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The Ravens defeated the Broncos 31-17. (Photo by Larry French/Getty Images)

AFC West
  1. San Diego Chargers
  2. Kansas City Chiefs
  3. Denver Broncos
  4. Oakland Raiders
The AFC West has been the biggest surprise of the year, especially for me. I am a die-hard Kansas City Chiefs fan, and I expected improvement adding the rookies Eric Berry, Javier Arenas, and Dexter McCluster, as well as, coordinators Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel. Seriously though, how many of you would have had the Chiefs (5-2) in first place, the Raiders (4-4) in second, followed by San Diego (3-5) and Denver (2-6). Yeah, me either. I'm not ruling out San Diego making their annual comeback, but I'm riding or dying with my Chiefs. GO CHIEFS!!!

KANSAS CITY, MO - OCTOBER 24: Jamaal Charles  of the Kansas City Chiefs in action during the game against the Jacksonville Jaguars on October 24, 2010 at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri. (Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images) KANSAS CITY, MO - OCTOBER 24: Safety Eric Berry  of the Kansas City Chiefs carries the ball after making an interception during the game against the Jacksonville Jaguars on October 24, 2010 at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri. (Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images) TAMPA, FL - AUGUST 21: Defensive back Javier Arenas  of the Kansas City Chiefs takes the opening kickoff against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers during a preseason game at Raymond James Stadium on August 21, 2010 in Tampa, Florida. (Photo by J. Meric/Getty Images)

The NFC...The NFC is the ugly stepsister to the AFC, and this year has been as wide open as ever.

NFC East
  1. Dallas Cowboys
  2. New York Giants
  3. Washington Redskins
  4. Philadelphia Eagles
See, I should have know that I couldn't trust the Dallas Cowboys. I go and pick the enemy, and they fail...wait a minute, did I jinx them...Bwah-ha-ha-haaaaaa. Anyway, I should have gone with Brother Eli, because the Giants (5-2) are looking down on the Eagles (4-3), the Redskins (4-4), and the Cowboys (1-6). Let's say that again, the Cowboys are 1-6. I am without words. So, I'll say Eli and the Giants will be the one's still standing at the end.

New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning calls offensive signals against the Dallas Cowboys in the first half of their NFL football game in Arlington, Texas October 25, 2010. REUTERS/Mike Stone (UNITED STATES - Tags: SPORT FOOTBALL)

NFC South
  1. Atlanta Falcons
  2. New Orleans Saints
  3. Carolina Panthers
  4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
I chose the Atlanta Falcons, because I didn't, I couldn't, I wouldn't take the Saints to repeat. I thought the Bucs were going to show much improvement, but I didn't expect this. The Falcons (5-2) and the Bucs (5-2) are in first, followed by the Saints (5-3) and the Panthers (1-6). I still think the Falcons will take the South. Yeah, Raheem, I said it.

ATLANTA - OCTOBER 03: Quarterback Matt Ryan  and Tony Gonzalez  of the Atlanta Falcons celebrate after their 16-14 win over the San Francisco 49ers at Georgia Dome on October 3, 2010 in Georgia. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

NFC North
  1. Green Bay Packers
  2. Minnesota Vikings
  3. Chicago Bears
  4. Detroit Lions
Yeah, I thought Minnesota would fall off a bit, but to fall to a tie with the Lions, I didn't see that coming. The Packers (5-3) are in first followed by the Bears (4-3), the Vikings (2-5), and the Lions (2-5). Even with their multiple injuries, I still see the Pack winning the North.

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - OCTOBER 31: Aaron Rodgers  of the Green Bay Packers throws a pass against the New York Jets on October 31, 2010 at the New Meadowlands Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey.The Packers defeated the Jets 9-0. (Photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

NFC West
  1. San Francisco 49ers
  2. Arizona Cardinals
  3. Seattle Seahawks
  4. St. Louis Rams
Apparently, I sipped the Mike Singletary Kool-Aid, because I really thought the 49ers were on their way to the top...yeah, not so much. The Seahawks (4-3) have rebound and are now in 1st followed by the Sam Bradford led Rams (4-4), the Cardinals (3-4), and the 49ers (1-6) are in last. I'm going to take a chance and say that the Rams will win the West. Why not?

DETROIT - OCTOBER 10: Sam Bradford  of the St. Louis Rams looks to the sidelines during the fourth quarter of the game against the Detroit Lions at Ford Field on October 10, 2010 in Detroit, Michigan. The Lions defeated the Rams 44-6. (Photo by Leon Halip/Getty Images)

Here were my playoff picks:
AFC Wildcards-New England Patriots, Tennessee Titans
NFC Wildcards-New Orleans Saints, New York Giants

AFC Champions-Baltimore Ravens...I said it...I mean it...It will probably be wrong...but I'm telling you. I feel like this is going to be the Ravens year.

NFC Champions-Green Bay Packers...After much soul searching, I chose Green Bay. I don't know why. I just did. (Saints are making me re-think this right about now.)

Super Bowl XLV Champions-Baltimore Ravens

I think the Giants will win the East, so I'm picking Chicago to be the other wildcard. I'm switching my AFC wildcard to Pittsburgh. I'm going to stick with my AFC Champs and NFC Champs. I am also sticking with Baltimore ultimately winning (watch Pittsburgh or New England mess it up).

I didn't jump ship too badly this time. Maybe my new predictions will turn out better, or maybe there is a short in my crystal ball. Anyway, until next time, "Mistakes are part of the dues one pays for a full life."~Sophia Loren





No comments:

Post a Comment