Saturday, January 14, 2017

Divisional Playoffs 2017



Welcome back, everybody!!! Hope you are enjoying your weekend!!! It's is time for the Divisional Playoffs!!!

Last weekend, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Green Bay, and Houston won their Wild Card matches to advance to the Divisional round. Now, we are eight teams away from the Super Bowl, and while their Super Bowl dreams are still alive many NFL teams are at home preparing for next year. Two will begin their new seasons in a home.  The San Diego Chargers officially became the Los Angeles Chargers this week, and the Oakland Raiders are on the verge of filing paper work to make Las Vegas their home.  Meanwhile, the NFL coaching vacancies are starting to fill. Jacksonville made Doug Marrone their official coach and hired Tom Coughlin as president of football operations.  The Denver Broncos hired Vance Joseph away from the Miami Dolphins.  After much speculation, including a possible trade for New Orleans head coach Sean Payton, the Los Angeles Rams made 30-year-old Sean McVay the youngest coach after he spent three seasons as the offensive coordinator with the Washington Redskins. Finally, Anthony Lynn left the East Coast for the West Coast to become head coach of the newly minted Los Angeles Chargers.  

Well, to the picks. Last week, I was a perfect 3-0, but I expect no perfection this week. 

Saturday, January 14, 2017
Seattle Seahawks vs. Atlanta Falcons (4:35 pm EST on FOX):  Seattle.  I really have no faith in the Falcons. I want to pick them to win because they should win. They don't have a great defense, but Matt Ryan has been playing out of his mind this year. Russell Wilson's team has the better defense. That said, I just can't trust the Falcons.  They are like my Braves. They get riiiiiiiiiight there and find a way to lose. Remember, Tony Gonzalez wide open three years ago?  Remember, the 2 point game against New York?  That's what I'm saying.

Houston Texans vs. New England Patriots (8:15 pm EST on CBS):  New England.  I'm not going to spend a great deal of time here. We are all thinking it. IT is a forgone conclusion. Tom Brady wants revenge after his four game suspension...Blah-blah-blah, MVP, blah, blah, blah, Bill Belichick, yada-yada. Houston has Brock Osweiler who had a meh game over a meh Raiders team. I wish the Texans the best, but yeah, Brady should win this...easily...

Sunday, January 15, 2017
Green Bay Packers vs. Dallas Cowboys (4:40 pm EST on FOX):  Green Bay.  Yes, I know Prescott and Elliott have been balling out of control all year. Yes, I know that Tony Romo is ready just in case the rookie slips up, but the way Aaron Rodgers has been playing the last few weeks has me thinking of the Giants from a few years back who ran the table then beat the undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl.  The Cowboys should win, but I'm sticking with the Packers.

Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Kansas City Chiefs (8:20 pm EST on NBC):  Kansas City.  This was supposed to be the first game on Sunday, but due to the ice storm that is headed Kansas City's way, the NFL made the move change the time of the game from 1:20 pm to 8:20 pm.  This should be the coldest game of the weekend, and these teams really don't like each other.  The Pittsburgh Steelers have had the upper hand on the Chiefs for the last few meetings including the 43-14 beatdown earlier this year, a game James Harrison claims to not remember playing. I did not want my team to play the Steelers.  There, I said it.  My brain tells me this is the time of the year when Ben Roethelisberger plays his best and my Chiefs, much like the Falcons, turn into the Atlanta Braves. Yet, I soooooooo want this to be the year for the Chiefs. My brain tells me that Pittsburgh is going to win, but my heart is with the Chiefs, so that's my pick, and I'm sticking to it.

Enjoy your games this week!!! Until next time, in Honor of Dr. King's Birthday on Sunday, “We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.”-Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. 

No comments:

Post a Comment