Sunday, September 12, 2010

Congratulations #88 on #1000

As many of the readers of this blog know, I am a huge, HUGE, fan of one Anthony David Gonzalez. I first saw Tony Gonzalez on the basketball court during March Madness 1997. I didn't know who he was because 1) I'm an SEC fan, 2) I barely watched basketball especially college, and 3) although I shouldn't, I ignore every football team outside of the SEC. I was the pet project of my next door neighbors, who felt that it was their job in life to show me how to have a good time. They were the first to take me to New Orleans, which through my eyes was like walking through the eighth circle of hell. They invited me over to their March Madness party, which really was just an excuse to have a party. That was the when I was introduced to Tony Gonzalez.

A little over a month later, my team, the Kansas City Chiefs, drafted Tony Gonzalez with the 13th overall pick. I was busy trying to wipe the "huh, what?" look from my face. I was all like, "WTH, KC, you drafted a basketball player?" It was then, I learned that TG was also a star TE for Cal. I paused and thought to myself "Well, at least he's cute." After the first two years, the cuteness was starting to wear off, because our first round pick had a severe case of the "Can he play this position in the NFL" disease. It was then that some switch was turned on, and he became the Tony Gonzalez that we have all grown to love.

CHARLOTTE, NC - OCTOBER 05: Tony Gonzalez #88 of the Kansas City Chiefs runs with the ball during the game against the Carolina Panthers at Bank of America on October 5, 2008 in Charlotte, North Carolina.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

Just how awesome is Tony Gonzalez let me list the ways:

Records

Kansas City Chiefs

  • Career receptions (916 as of December 30, 2008)
  • Career receiving yards (10,940 as of December 30, 2008)
  • Career receiving touchdowns (76 as of December 30, 2008)
  • Career yards from scrimmage (10,954 as of December 30, 2008)
  • Consecutive games with a reception (130 as of December 30, 2008)

NFL

  • Receptions in a single season for a tight end (102, 2004 season)
  • Career receiving yards for a tight end (11,807 as of today)
  • Career receptions for a tight end (999 will be the first TE to 1000)
  • Career receiving touchdowns for a tight end (82 as of today)
  • Most seasons with 1,000+ receiving yards by a tight end (4)
  • 11,000 receiving yards (21st player and 1st Tight End)
Awards
16 Dec 2001 : Tony Gonzalez #88 of the Kansas City Chiefs is chased by John Mobley #51 and Al Wilson #56 of the Denver Broncos during the game at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri. The Chiefs won 26-23. DIGITAL IMAGE. Mandatory Credit: Elsa/Allsport

His career stats as of this morning September 13, 2010
999 career receptions
11,807 receiving yards
82 touchdowns
6 fumbles (Adrian Peterson learn)

Did you also know that Tony has 15 solo defensive tackles, or that he also completed a 40 yard pass with the Chiefs? He also played special teams with the Chiefs. Did you know that he is the only TE to receive 50 or more receptions for 12 straight years? He is currently #7 on the list of 1000 catch receivers behind Jerry Rice (1549), Marvin Harrison (1102), Cris Carter (1101), Tim Brown (1094), Issac Bruce (1024), Terrell Owens (1006), and TG. The next closest active player is Randy Moss with 926. Are you seeing how special a player Gonzalez is?

There have only been 12 starting quarterbacks in Kansas City Chiefs History, Tony has received passes from 7 of them. Take a look at this list: Elvis Grbac, Rich Gannon, Warren Moon (HOF Class of 2006), Trent Green, Damon Huard, Brodie Croyle, and Tyler Thigpen. The Kansas City Chiefs have only had 11 head coaches, Tony has played for 4 of them-Marty Schottenheimer, Gunther Cunningham, Dick Vermeil, and Herman Edwards.

Kansas City Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez participates in the Best Hands competition in the NFL Pro Bowl Skills Challenge at the J.W. Mariott Ihilani Resort & Spa in Ko'Olina, HI on Friday, Feb. 11, 2005 Photo via Newscom

At some point today, Tony Gonzalez will receive his first pass of the season from Matt Ryan. That catch will be the 1000th catch of his illustrious career. I would love to see the catch, however, our local Fox affiliate is showing Panthers/Giants. One of my biggest regrets is that I have never seen TG play in person, but I can still say I have seen one of the greatest players in NFL history in his prime, and he played for my team. Congratulations, Tony on #1000.

October 14, 2007 - Kansas City, MO..Record setting touchdown... Tony Gonzalez #88 of the Kansas City Chiefs celebrates after catching a touchdown pass in the first quarter against the Cincinnati Bengals at Arrowhead Stadium...Kansas City defeated the Bengals 27-20 Photo via Newscom
Align Center
You are now standing alone as the Greatest Tight End of All Time!!!

KANSAS CITY, MO - NOVEMBER 02:   Tony Gonzalez #88 of the Kansas City Chiefs looks on against the Tampa  Bay Buccaneers during their NFL game on November 2, 2008 at Arrowhead  Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri.  The Buccaneers won 30 to 27 in  overtime. (Photo by: Jamie Squire/Getty Images)

No comments:

Post a Comment