Saturday, January 4, 2014

Wild Card Weekend Picks

It's Wild Card Weekend, everybody!!!! The playoffs are upon us!!! We had to wave good-bye to 20 NFL teams last weekend who packed their bags for an early off season.  We also saw the ax fall upon the jobs of 5 coaches-Rob Chudzinski (Cleveland), Mike Shanahan (Washington), Leslie Frazier (Minnesota), Jim Schwartz (Detroit), and Greg Schiano (Tampa Bay). On a positive note, Lovie Smith was hired to replace Schiano in Tampa Bay.


My back-up Chiefs almost beat the 1st string San Diego Chargers.  Had it not been for the refs messing up, Ryan Succop may have gotten a second chance to make that field goal which would have eliminated San Diego and launched Pittsburgh into the playoffs.


The NFL said goodbye to two tremendous competitors this past weekend as well-London Fletcher and Tony Gonzalez. Sadly, both were on teams who ended their nightmarish seasons with a loss. Both of these guys deserved a better end to their great careers. I have a feeling one or both will still grace our television screens when football season returns, and Tony Gonzalez, most definitely, will be entering the hall in a few short years. For my money, London Fletcher should, too.


At the beginning of the season, I made my annual "Predictions sure to go wrong." I didn't fair too badly...

 
My Pick
Actual Winner
AFC East
New England
New England
AFC North
Cincinnati
Cincinnati
AFC South
Houston
Indianapolis
AFC West
Kansas City
Denver
Wild cards
Denver/Baltimore
Kansas City/San Diego
NFC East
Washington
Philadelphia
NFC North
Green Bay
Green Bay
NFC South
Atlanta
Carolina
NFC West
San Francisco
Seattle
Wild cards
Seattle/New Orleans
San Francisco/New Orleans

I did manage to pick 8 of the 12 playoff teams. Who really saw Atlanta and New Orleans dropping to Carolina?  My Chiefs Pick was more wishful thinking, but for one bright shining moment, it was almost the truth. The AFC West is sending 3 teams to the playoffs. Now, did any of us see that coming?  Seattle and San Francisco were more or less a given.  Houston and Washington, wow...those teams were just a mess.  Now, Denver, New England, Seattle, and Carolina get to sit back, watch, and wait to see who their opponents will be next week.

Last week was one of my best pick weeks of the year with a 11-5 tally.  My end of the year tally was 143-109 not a bad record.  Now for my wild card picks...

Saturday, January 4
Kansas City Chiefs vs. Indianapolis Colts
It seems as if every time the Chiefs make the playoffs their opponent is the Colts. Four of the Chiefs last six playoff appearances have been against the Indianapolis Colts.  The Chiefs have lost all four. The last time the Chiefs won a playoff game was January 16, 1994. Joe Montana was quarterback, Marcus Allen was running back, Tony Gonzalez was a senior in high school, Bill Clinton was president, and Miley Cyrus was a one year old named Destiny Hope. It has been, a long, long, long time since the Chiefs won a playoff game. Twenty years!!! I'm picking my Chiefs and let the chips fall where they may.  Go Chiefs!!!!


New Orleans Saints vs. Philadelphia Eagles
Drew Brees and Jimmy Graham are amazing. They do amazing things when they connect with one another.  However, it seems as though, things do not always fall their way on the road.  Philadelphia did not begin the year looking like a playoff team, but boy did they end it looking like one. This is going to be a tough game especially in the bad weather headed that way, but I'm picking the Saints, because I'm a homer.  Geaux Saints!!!


Sunday, January 5
San Diego Chargers vs. Cincinnati Bengals
Let's preface this by saying that I have little faith in either of these teams. San Diego almost lost to the Chiefs second string last week, and Cincinnati has been up in down all season.  Cincinnati won the last time they played in December. I'm flipping a coin.  San Diego.


San Francisco 49ers vs. Green Bay Packers
This will be a tough game. San Francisco's defense vs. Aaron Rodger's offense.  No, I have not forgotten about Colin Kaepernick.  I have no horse in this race, but I find it very hard to pick against Aaron Rodgers at home.  Green Bay.


Alright everybody, I will probably be 0-4 next week, but that's the way it goes. Until next week I leave you with one of my favorite Jim Mora quotes, "Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs. Are you kidding me? Playoffs? I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game."

No comments:

Post a Comment