Three years ago, several of my students decided that they wanted to start a fantasy football league. They needed one more person to join. Since they were not betting any money, and it was all for fun, I joined their league. I had grown up a football fan, and I thought I knew enough about football to get me throught the year. Boy, was I wrong.
My first mistake was choosing players I liked, i.e. Tony Gonzalez. To say that threw off the dynamics of the entire team was an understatement. My homerism was killing my team. I finished the season next to last. We had so much fun, that we expanded into fantasy baseball. Most of us had lost interest by July. I placed third in the league without changing my roster for one month.
The next year I had three fantasy football teams. One with my now former students, and two others. Once again, my students beat me. I was last place. But in my other leagues, I was second and third. So, I was not entirely stupid when it came to picking a winning team.
This past year, we had two leagues, but I had five teams. I won two championships (in one league I was the only girl). I placed second in another (lost the championship by 1 point). With my boys, next to last and last. I just can't seem to beat them!
So, here's my blog's new goal. I am going to document my year as a fantasy football team owner. I know a lot of people consider us nerds. Well, I am. Some football fans hate us because we root for players on other teams. Yes, we do. But, I have some steadfast rules.
- I do not draft Raiders, Broncos, or Cowboys. Why? Because I hate those teams. No other reason.
- Unless absolutely necessary, I do not play opponents against my favorite teams. For example, I lost big points because I refused to play my San Diego Chargers Defense against Tony Gonzalez and Larry Johnson. I think Merriman had three sacks in that game, and the Chiefs lost.
- I try to have at least one player from my favorite teams on my fantasy team. Try. It's going to be difficult to find a player from either the Chiefs or the Niners to place on my team this year.
- Yes, I have more than one team. Sue me. The drafts take the longest. It takes about 15 minutes to set my line ups. But, I will not have more than three this year.
- Have fun!!!!! It's fantasy!!! Hello! But, I still PLAY TO WIN THE GAME (thanks Coach Edwards).
So, Diana Dishes will now dish on my year as a fantasy football owner. I will not give you advice about your team. I just want to give a little insight about mine. My scouting during the pre-season. The anxiety during the draft. The impatient waiting for Tuesday morning final scores.
So, let the games begin!!!