Sunday, February 2, 2014

Super Bowl Sunday

Well, ladies and gentleman, it is time for the biggest oxymoron of the year-The Super Bowl!!! An oxymoron, you say, why yes, because it is the game we have waited for all year, but it also marks the official end of the 2013-2014 NFL season.  That's right, at the expiration of the clock tonight, we will not have another meaningful football game until Thursday, September 4, 2014 or a mere 214 days.  Of course, football has become a year round sport, and we will continue to hear about this season until then. Sigh.

Last week was the Pro Bowl. I didn't really see the point of making predictions for an all-star game.  It was, however, one of the more entertaining Pro Bowls.  It was different seeing teammates tagging each other on the field, like Derrick Johnson, who was also crowned Defensive MVP during the game, nail teammate Jamaal Charles.  At first, I was not sure how to go about rooting for a team considering there were 5 Kansas City Chiefs on each team. J-Charles was on team Sanders, and Alex Smith was on team Rice, but we also got a chance to see the great Tony Gonzalez lace up the cleats one final time, and since Gonzalez was on team Rice, so went my loyalties. TG had 3 receptions for 50 yards playing for Team Rice who squeezed out a victory against an astonished Team Sanders. Cool fact-The last reception of Tony Gonzalez's illustrious career was from a Kansas City Chiefs Quarterback.

Let me take a side not here for a moment. A poster on an article commented that the only reason that Tony Gonzalez was in the Pro Bowl was that it was a retirement present.  Really?  If we were going on stats alone, the only category Vernon Davis beat TG in was touchdowns:  TG-8, VD-13.  He had one more touchdown than Jordan Cameron.  He had 10 more receptions, 8 more yards and the same number of touchdowns as Jason Whitten.  Enough to have him ranked 4th in Tight Ends this year according to YahooSports.  So poster, your argument is invalid.

Last night was the NFL Honors.  Congratulations to Kansas City Chiefs player Jamaal Charles (who was robbed for MVP) who was NFL.Com Fantasy Player of the Year.  Peyton Manning, of course, won MVP, Offensive MVP, and FedEx Air Player of the Year. Bah...

Now for the Super Bowl, which from all of the media stories is the Peyton Manning versus Richard Sherman Bowl. Anyone who has read this blog knows that I really don't care for either of these teams.  I've hated the Broncos for 35 of my 39 years.  I mean, I have always been a fan of Peyton Manning, but man, why did he have to choose the Broncos.  Meanwhile, the Seahawks all have great stories, yet I can't stand them.  Ever since that game last year with the Falcons, I've been a little off put by the Seahawks. Russell Wilson by all accounts is a great guy. I know he's a good and will be a great quarterback, but there is something about him that I can't quite put my finger on.  Not a fan. Putting all that aside, isn't this really the match up practically everybody expected.  The best offense versus the best defense in the city with the best night life, East Rutherford, New Jersey.  So after a week of Marshawn Lynch avoiding the media, Peyton Manning explaining Omaha, the prognosticators discussing Pey-Pey's legacy, and Richard Sherman being Richard Sherman, it is time for the inevitable "Put up or shut up." That said, I'm picking the Broncos, even though the very idea of saying that makes me want to throw up.

That's it for my football dishing. Until next season, "Every game I've ever played, regardless if it was pre-season or Super Bowl, meant the same to me, and I laid it all on the line."-Brett Favre

No comments:

Post a Comment